Thursday, August 11, 2011

Going, Going, Arrived

Hard to believe that I am here.  My first post was going to be about getting ready, then the flight and then arriving.  The ties have been cut, the distance covered, all in an uneventful way, though it seemed eventful and stressful at the time, but it all pales compared with stepping off the plane yesterday.  To pick me up was Sambath, a teacher's aid at the school. .  Driving from the airport to the school, maybe 1/2 hour was terrifying.  The roads are crowded and there is very little order.  Motor bikes are everywhere with two or three riders and some pull little covered carts, like rickshaws, called tututs.  I met with Sandra she walked me to the hotel, very western and I took a shower and a nap.  Back to school that late afternoon and a tour and Sambeth walked me up to blocks to get a phone and on the way back had me look at an apartment, one bedroom, brand new, not my style but I think that might have to change.  By that time I was feeling like fainting, so I took the apartment, went back to nice AC and put on Moby on the computer, just perfect, right?  Well just about then it all caught up to me and I laid down and didn't get up to Sunday.  I felt paralyzed, weak, dizzy, chills and sweats.  Jet lag and the a bug.  I went to  service with Sandra on Sunday morning but had to go right back and collapse again.  I did move later that day but my only though was what am I doing here?  Made it to Monday morning meeting but had to leave early, Tuesday too but feeling better and ended up taking a tutut to faculty party last night during a thunderstorm.  All the apartments have balconies so standing out there with some others watching the downpour and lightning was kind of awesome.  The city is hot and gritty but feels safe so I walked home in the tropical.  The heat is difficult.  Morning are still and the sun really fierce but in the afternoon it gets breezy and downpours lurk.  Nights are steamy and I have been using AC but find it annoying too.  .

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mike, who is Gayla? Loved reading about your first few days in your new home. You made me smile thinking about your trip from the airport with Sambath. I know what you mean about not liking the AC, I never thought I would feel that way when I move up here from Texas. Keep the posts coming. Stay as cool as possible, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mike, Aravinda and I were down visiting Nanny and Mary who told us about your blog. I love it. We read it through with Nanny who wanted to post you a message (see below).
    Good luck and I hope you continue to write about it.
    Joseph and Aravinda
    <<<<<<<
    Dear Mike,
    I just read some of your first few weeks in Cambodia….AWESOME!!! Your school looks great and the area looks a lot different than New Lebanon. The trip out to the coast was eventful, hearing about all the details and finding out that it only cost a $120 for four days….That terrific. Stay safe and we are all thinking of you. Beth.

    ReplyDelete